miércoles, 6 de julio de 2016

My English Summer Course Experience

It all started last semester when I was devastated to lean I had to take this English Course if I wanted to enroll in all my classes for 6th semester. I had to apply for an extension so I could be allowed to take all my classes and not get behind on credits. I got it on the condition that I would take the course during that semester. 

As I was supposed to, I signed up to take the class every Saturday from 8 am to 1 pm and I was only allowed one absence in order to accredit the course. My biggest problem was that, when I enrolled, I wasn´t taking into account that one of my best friends´ wedding was coming up. During the semester we has a bachelorette party, which gave me my first absence. When I got back from the trip I got sick from tonsillopharyngitis and I has to stay home for a few days. A few weeks after that I caught the flu, which meant another Saturday in bed and the third absence from my class. I was trying to get them excused, as it was for medical reasons, but then I realized that I would have to miss yet another class because of my friend´s wedding, so it was a not really worth it. So in the end, my course wouldn´t be accredited anyway so I stopped attending the class. All the while I had the intention of taking the exam to go up a level during the summer.

Sadly, I missed all the dates and I didn´t sign up for it so I was left with only one option, to take the course again. This time I had decided to take it seriously and to commit to it so I could get it accredited at last. This was how I ended up in this English summer course with teacher Alfredo.

The first day of class I honestly didn´t even want to attend, I couldn´t be bothered spending my whole summer attending a class every week day from 12 to 4 pm so I could accredit the subject. I was once again allowed only one absence so at last I decided to make the commitment to be there. I finally understood that what was in jeopardy was not only my English level but my future because if I don´t pass this subject I can´t enroll in my medicine classes this semester and that is not a luxury I can afford as I am already behind for my age. So I changed my attitude and decided to make the best of it.

As the classes passed, I started realizing that the course was not as bad as I was expecting and I actually enjoying myself and making friends. Most importantly, I realized that I was really learning thanks to teacher Alfredo´s patience and dedication.

After all the time I´ve spent in the course I can say that I truly admire teacher Alfredo because he is a great teacher. He repeated himself 400 times if necessary until we all understood everything. If he noticed that someone was getting behind, he would get back to the same subject until it was crystal clear to all of us. That is something I know all his students appreciate deeply.

I must admit that, against all odds, my English summer course was a great place to learn and a great place to meet new people and make more friends. It helped and made me grow a great deal. We often rank higher other subjects in our degrees and sadly, we don´t give enough importance to these kinds of classes. We keep excusing us with the “real” classes for our degree but we don´t realize that this classes are just as important. I would recommend this particular class to every student because it feels lighter and you don´t have to worry about any other subject and you can focus entirely on this class. As it is a class you take every day, as it is an intensive course, you don´t forget where you left off from one class to the next, as it often happens in other regular scheduled classes, at least for me.

I would like to thank professor Alfredo for making a great experience out of this course and for having changed my perspective on this subject. Thank you very much!

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario